Surgical Work Inside Sounds
Produces Innovative Effects
CDP: Sound Design with a Difference
~ MAC OS X and Windows ~
It is with great sadness that I have to let you know that our Founder Member and leading light, Richard Orton, has unexpectedly passed away in the early hours of 12 February 2013. The illness was brief and he is spared further pain and suffering, but his loss to us is immense. Archer
Our current Featured Composer is Harry-Ed Roland, resident in Berlin and an imaginative CDP user for many years.
Unusual functions create original work
Some Composition Goals ⇔ Relevant CDP Processes
- Add some serious grit
- CDP: 23 ways to reshape sounds using wavecycle distortion
- Harmony definition and change
- CDP: Time-varying filter banks; snap to (changing) harmonic grids in multi-event textures
- Seamless mixing of sonic features
- CDP: Numerous ways to combine/reconstruct selected components of sounds
- Texture & shuffle the insides of sounds
- CDP: Especially strong on segmentation and internal reordering
- Gradual change
- CDP: Almost every parameter can be made musically supple via user-specified time value 'breakpoint' files
- Transitions between sounds
- CDP: Morph, Bridge, Gliss, Crossovers
- Roughen surface texture
- CDP: Granular manipulations with Brassage and 15 grain-handling functions
- Introduce speech-like qualities
- CDP: Impose vowel-like formant shapes onto sounds
- Textures shaped with pitch, density & rhythm
- CDP: Multi-event texture creation with 25 parameters, most of which are time-varying
- Build sounds through mixing
- CDP: Mix up to 50 sounds in one track
- Work with multi-channel soundfiles
- CDP: 14 programs with which to compose spatially
Graphic User Interfaces
- Sound Loom on both MAC and PC computers, this GUI offers a unique approach to the CDP system modelled on the working methods of its author, Trevor Wishart. It is bundled free with all CDP systems.
- Soundshaper available only on Windows machines, this GUI uses standard Windows design features focused on the Play transport. It now offers a processing grid that builds and saves multi-stage operations. Soundshaper Pro is fully compatible with Release 6 and is available separately at modest cost (see the Options page). Soundshaper Lite is bundled free with all CDP Windows systems, but has limited support for the new Release 6 functions.
A number of technical details (see System Requirements) will help to orient the prospective user. Note that the CDP software will run under Windows 7, both the 32-bit and the 64-bit 'Home' and 'Premium' editions.
New in Release 6
The main addition in Release 6 is a major set of programs for handling and composing with multi-channel soundfiles. There has also been a comprehensive set of bug-fixes and manual updates. Ordering is via the Software page. For more information about Release 6, see MAC or PC.
Upgrading to Release 6 from any previous version of CDP is offered at the advantageous price of only £19.00, less the usual 10% education discount, and plus P & P until download is set up. If a PC user, you may wish to move up to Soundshaper Pro as well. In order to upgrade, you will need to enter the user access code that you have been given for CDP updates generally. If this is not to hand or your code fails, please contact Archer: archerhgm(at)talktalk.net. Ordering is via the Upgrades page.
The normal method of delivery for the CDP software and documentation has been YouSendIt, but something has broken the upload and we can't track the cause. For the time being we are sending out the software on CD, but are exploring other solutions. You are sent a formal CDP Invoice and Delivery Note by post, and for new CDP systems, also a free Spiral Desk Reference. At the moment, there is no postage charge. The two Tutorial Workshops are usually sent by post on CD-ROM with some accompanying printed documentation. Soundshaper Pro is downloaded from Robert Fraser's website and registered as described on the Options page.
Student Special Discount
Students studying at educational institutions that have a CDP Site Licence are entitled to the Special Student Discount that makes the base price only £42.00 (plus P & P until download is available). The software comes with Soundshaper Lite, so, again, Soundshaper Pro remains an option and can be ordered on the Options page. To ensure that you qualify for this special discount, please check our list of institutions that have a CDP Site Licence. Otherwise, the normal 10% education discount will apply. Please email archerhgm(at)talktalk.net for a Special Student Discount voucher code, including if possible proof of student status, such as an image of your student ID card. Ordering is via the Software tab. Other payment options are available, if necessary please contact CDP.
Educational institutions that would like to run multiple workstations running the CDP software, whether separate workstations or networked, should order their software with an appropriate Site Licence. Please note that Soundshaper is also (separately) licensed on this basis. There is more information about licensing.
- Interview with Trevor Wishart, key creative programmer for CDP. He has recently been awarded the Giga-Herz grand prize, and is here interviewed by ZKM Radio.
- The Options tab is where you can order Soundshaper Pro, GrainMill when on its own: it is included with new CDP Systems and Upgrades, and the algorithmic and real-time MIDI instrument language Tabula Vigilans.
- Visit the Links tab for information about software complementary to CDP: Csound, ProcessPack, etc.
- We are particularly pleased to announce the release of ProcessPack, created in TCL/Tk over the past two years by Richard Orton and Archer Endrich, working as 'Wellspring Music'. The overall aim of this Project is to provide high-level composition design tools. Partly based on CDP software, it makes a good companion to the CDP package.
- Please note that CDP's main contact email address is: archerhgm(at)talktalk.net.
CDP: The Composers' Desktop Project
Based in the UK, CDP is an international network of composers and programmers guided by a vision of amazing sonic possibilities and how they can be woven into the fabric of music. We have been working together since 1986. About CDP and its approach.
(The image on the right is the CD cover.)
Last updated: 23 February 2013